Answered By: Amy Campbell
Last Updated: Jun 12, 2019     Views: 992

Students may have more than one advisor. The person you see to plan your coursework and get your registration PIN is your Academic Advisor. If you've taken less than 24 credit hours, you may also have a Success Coach. Lastly, as you get closer to graduation, you may be assigned a Completion Specialist.

Your advisors' names are usually available inside TigerWeb ( After you've been officially admitted and have been assigned advisor(s), you should be able to see their name(s) at the top right side of the page just above the "Quick Launch" area.

Advisor's names can also be found in Degree Works, the advising system used by Chattanooga State. Degree Works can be accessed inside TigerWeb by clicking on the red "Degree Works" ball in the Quick Launch area on the right side of the page.
To log into Degree Works, enter your TigerID and Tiger password.
Degree Works can also be accessed directly at

In Degree Works, look at the right side of the page under Academic Advisor. There can be up to two names there. Normally the top name is your actual Academic Advisor.  You may also have a Success Coach listed as an Advisor if you've taken less than 24 credit hours. If you click on an advisor's name, it should open a window to let you send them an email.

You can also look up your advisor's email and office phone number by entering their name in our campus Directory.

If you can’t reach your Academic Advisor, please contact the division office for your major to see if an alternate advisor is available.

For more information, please go to the Advising & Registration web page.

Comments and Suggestions (0)

Please note: Comments do not appear until they have been read by a staff member.

    Related Topics

    Didn't find your answer? Submit a New Question here:

    Your Question
    Please give an e-mail address so we know where to send your answer. We will not share it.
    Your Info
    Fields marked with * are required.


    For a specific personal response from Student Tech Support, please submit a Help Request instead.